Monday, November 30, 2009

In Snowbird Season




Today is our last day at home; we head for points south tomorrow morning at daybreak, a 294-mile run to Carlisle, PA.

But I take a few minutes' rest from the whirlwinds of packing van and trailer, savoring our home on a wintry, gray morning. Beloved husband Roger is off to nearby Albion to tend to repairs on the minivan. Seems after 132,000 miles -- most of it pulling Alis Elizabeth Trailer -- Bore the Van needs new struts and related suspension work. Unplanned, unexpected, this duty calls him off on one more last-minute mission. Men's work.

It gives me some time to bask in the glow of a candle, listening to Simon & Garfunkle's Concert in Central Park in the comfort of the library one last morning. I get to do poet's work. Drafting a sonnet, revising a poem I wrote last week.

And quietly reveling in this morning's good news: Literary House Review has nominated my poem, "According to Instinct" for a Pushcart Prize! A second nomination! Yehaw! Thank you, LHR!

Soon I will turn my thoughts to my winter to-do list. The mundane calls.

Be well, friends and visitors.

May you receive the many gifts of the Universe this holiday season. And fellow poets? Write on!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Wishing you a safe and inspiring journey Karla.

Whenever I leave for the road there's a little sadness in the driving off of Wheeler Hill. Best of both worlds - home and the road.

Michael said...

Wishing you a safe and inspiring journey Karla.

Whenever I leave for the road there's a little sadness in the driving off of Wheeler Hill. Best of both worlds - home and the road.

BillWanda said...

Congratulations on the nomination, Karla! Great news! Have a wonderful trip.